The National Park City Foundation created a Journey Book, which describes the 10 steps to become a National Park City. 10 steps don’t sound like a lot, but it is a multi-year process of visioning and planning to craft a proposal that reflects Sacramento’s diverse communities.
Sacramento is currently at Step 2 – Register Your Campaign. In order to register we need 200 residents to support the idea and sign the Universal Park Cities Charter. We are gathering these signatures and you can help by clicking the button to the left
The next step will be to explore the potential of what Sacramento National Park City means. We use the question “What If?” to collect visions of what a greener, healthier, wilder, more wonderful future would contain. Here are a few examples –
- What if we restored channelized creeks and made them into a network of greenways with trails?
- What if we created a native oak groves and demonstration gardens in each neighborhood?
- What if we made statues at each school for the people they are named after.
- What if we created community art hubs were artist could come together.
- What if there was a “Water Trail” from Folsom to Discovery Park/Old Sac
The Sacramento region has high levels of disparity and we are making efforts to include the visions from a broad cross section of communities, with a focus on building up resources for underserved areas. If you can help us with this outreach please let us know and we will ensure your voice is heard. Sacramento can only be a National Park City if we are working to extend these benefits to everyone.
Will you join us?
Get involved by exploring, enjoying, and building a better Sacramento. Connect with us to add your voice to the movement by email, social media, and contact us to add your organization to our list of partners.